Soft and gentle hands are charming and are a sign of great attention given to them. On the other hand, chapped and cracked ones are a nightmare especially for most women. This is because they can make us look older than we really are. Dry, cracked hands can be painful, hard to heal, and downright embarrassing. And there are so many different causes of dry skin; it’s hard to know what’s causing the problem.
Some common symptoms of cracked hands are:
- The fingertips are thicker than normal. These layers are yellow.
- Dry skin and redness in hands cause itching and burning
- In the summer, the symptoms of cracked hands appear in the form of blisters.
- In winter, with typical weather conditions, the disease will be worse. Dry and red skin may be cracked causing bleeding.
Dry hands can also accompany other diseases and conditions such as:
- Atopic Dermatitis
- A thyroid disorder
- Frequent handwashing can dry out skin
- Hot water can dry skin: wash hands in lukewarm water
- How to care for dry skin on your hands
Try to wash your hands in lukewarm water only and use a mild soap that supports skin’s natural pH like Epiwash Cleansing Bars. Epiwash is a pure glycerine bar of soap, specially formulated for the hyper-allergenic patient. This natural cleansing bar contains no perfume or colourants and it is pH balanced and does not irritate or dry the skin. If somehow, you get dry rough hands, try these remedies to make your hands softer.
- Exfoliate regularly
- Dead and hard skin can build up over time and then it will crack and cause painful fissures in the skin that don’t heal easily. Regularly exfoliating your skin will stop this hard skin developing and, subsequently, your skin will be less prone to cracking.
- Epizone Plus Hydrating Cream
- Epizone Plus is a rich moisturising cream containing Urea. For the treatment of very dry skin conditions. Epizone Plus has an emollient and soothing action. Keratolytics are used for their smoothing effects i.e. by removing excessive scaling. For use on those with very dry skin. Also use Epizone E which is an emulsifying ointment; It is an ideal soap substitute when lathered with warm water and for all age groups and skin types. It treats very dry skin conditions, such as Eczema or Psoriasis.
- A warm soak
- Make your own hand soak with some warm water, a teaspoon of baking soda, a few drops of peppermint oil and a tablespoon of sweet almond oil. You can also add a good handful of fresh rose petals if you like. Soak your hands and feet in the mixture for about ten minutes and it will hydrate and soften your skin.
- Epsom salts
- Epsom salts are great for cracked skin too. It helps to promote the circulation and it also contains magnesium that helps the skin to heal. Just add half a cup of Epsom salts to a bowl of warm water and soak your hands and feet for about ten minutes.
- Vitamin E
- Vitamin E oil works to block free radicals from the body, which play a large part in the aging process, If the cracks in your skin are really bad, Vitamin E will aid the healing process.
- Wear Gloves
- The best remedy to dry and cracked hands is to prevention. So, if you are out doing your job or chores wearing gloves will prevent your hands from drying and damaging. However, avoid vinyl types because they cause the skin to dry even more. The solution to get soft hands is to take proper care of your hands and using the right products like soaps; moisturizers etc. so that your hands don’t become rough and dry.