How often have you found yourself thinking or saying the following?
“I wish I had more time for myself.”
“I’m so busy! I don’t have a moment to breathe.”
“I need more hours in the day.”
“I don’t have time for that.“
As a woman you have multiple priorities on your mind at any given time.
Food, kids, laundry, cleaning, friends, work, bills, relationships, home, car, shower, sex, exercise, hobbies, not to mention politics, economics, scientific breakthroughs, the environment, public education or healthcare.
You are in constant movement, getting things done, going places, talking to people. We lead crazy, busy lives. And the one thing we never seem to have time for is ourselves. This problem seems even more pervasive as we work harder to meet the challenges of this new economy.
“Me” time is not something you should feel guilty about. It’s nothing more than taking some time to put aside your everyday business and treating yourself to an activity that you enjoy. It gives you an opportunity to relax, refocus and recharge. And when you do that, you can come back to your responsibilities with greater focus, commitment and enjoyment.
Here are a few simple suggestions for ways to spend quality ‘me’ time.
If You Have 5-10 Minutes
- Sit on the porch with a cup of coffee and the newspaper. Or a cup of coffee and no newspaper. Just watch the clouds go by. No phone or calendar allowed.
- Call a friend to chat. This doesn’t mean planning the bake sale or organizing the neighborhood watch — just talk, without an agenda.
- Move. Get up from your desk, stretch, and walk around the block or up and down a flight of stairs.
- Breathe deeply. While you’re sitting in your office, car, or home, focus on breathing slowly and gently for 5 minutes. It’s OK if your mind wanders a bit, but don’t start planning what you have to do next — just follow your breath.
- Pet your pet. Focus for 5 minutes on cuddling with cat or dog. You’ll both feel better.
- Put on your iPod and hit shuffle. Then just sit and listen.
If You Have 15-30 Minutes
- Read one chapter of a book you’ve wanted to make time for. Keep a basket in your office or living room with a good book, magazine, crossword puzzle, or other short escapes.
- Find a nearby park and go for a brisk walk.
- Putter. This doesn’t mean cleaning the house or organizing your kids’ clothes. Instead, it means doing little things at home that you enjoy, like trimming the rosebush and putting together a bouquet for your office or kitchen.
- Soak in the tub with our Epizone Bath and Shower Milk . If you’re a parent, make sure another adult is on duty so no one’s going to yell “Mom!” Plan so you’ll have some fabulous bath goodies on hand. Don’t forget a glass of ice water or wine.
If You Have 30-60 Minutes
Get a massage, a facial, or a mani -pedi. Epizone Heel Balm is a great way to self indulge after a mani-pedi and keep those feet looking great.
- Take a nap.
- Schedule a class that you’ve always wanted to take just for fun, like a paint and wine night.
- Plan a long walk with a friend. Commit to it early in the week and honor the commitment. You’re not training for anything, you’re not trying to race-walk, and you’re just taking a long stroll with a good friend and enjoying the day.
Add your own favorites to these lists. Whatever you choose to do with your “me” time, make it relaxing and restorative.